Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Antarctic Centre

I must say in advance that I've always been a bit biased against the Antarctic Centre, ever since the first time I ever went there, in about 1997. I couldn't believe then that I had to pay the HUGE sum of about $12 to get into what I thought was nothing more than a boring museum about snow. Hmmph!

So over the past ten years I've refused to go back. "Overpriced!" I'd mutter. "Boring!" I'd snarl. "Tourist entrapment!" I'd yell.

But finally we decided to go for a visit, mainly because my five year old son had been BEGGING me to take him, so that he could see the penguins (he's a wildlife nut). And the reason that finally broke down my defences was that there was a half price special for locals on. So, I gritted my teeth, bundled the 5 year old boy and the 4 year old girl into the car, and off we went.

My first impressions were AWFUL. As I pulled into the carpark I nearly had a fit when I realised that you now have to "Pay and Display". This is a new thing, it certainly hadn't been there a couple of years ago when I came out here. I was LIVID.

I left the carpark immediately, deciding to park on the street. Well, that was no good, as there were now yellow no-parking lines everywhere. I could possibly have got a free park a few kilometres away if I really wanted to. Muttering murderously I reluctantly returned to the carpark.

I calmed down a bit once I went to put my money into the machine. Firstly, it was only $1 an hour, which wasn't exorbitant (I was fully expecting the centre to be charging something crazy like $4 an hour). Secondly, I only had a $20 note on me, which the machine didn't accept, but a nice woman gave me a couple of dollars and said "Enjoy yourselves!" I know she's not part of the Antarctic Centre's experience, but hey, she made me feel better.

(In hindsight I realise why the Centre has to now charge for carparking - the airport is only a ten minute walk away and I'm sure that they would have been having problems with people parking at the centre for free and then walking to the airport).

We went in and paid our money. The four year old was free (free for under 5s), the five year old cost $10 and I cost $15. Remember, this was half price admission - it would normally have been $50 for us to get in.

We headed straight to the penguin room, as they were being fed. My son was initially disappointed as the penguins were Little Blue Penguins. I guess he had been expecting Emperor Penguins or something! But the penguins were cute, and the viewing rooms gave views both above and below water, from three different angles, so that was cool.

We then went back to the Snow and Ice Room. We put on our warm jackets and overshoes (provided) and went in. It was cold. It was about minus 8 degrees celsius in there. There was an ice slide, that looked rather dangerous to me, but the kids seemed to enjoy it. There was also an igloo thing and a Antarctic tent. Then there was a countdown to the "storm", which built up slowly to a crescendo of wind and temperatures dropping to minus 20. It was a bit scary for my four year old, but it was exciting nonetheless.

Back out again, the rest of the time was spent looking at the static displays. There's heaps to look at, and a LOT of information about Antarctica and Scott Base in particular. My kids weren't into reading up all the scientific information on the display boards so we skimmed most of it and focussed on the visual displays. My son liked the Antarctic aquarium as well, with its non-moving fish and starfish.

The car parking machine had suggested that most people stay at the centre for three hours. I only paid for two hours, as I know my kids. I was right - we left after being in the Centre for an hour and 45 minutes. If you were to read every information panel you could easily be there for three hours.

Our admission was just the basic one. You can also pay more and get a ride on a Hagglund (overland transport truck used in the Antarctic). You can also pay more and actually go inside the penguin enclosure with the keepers. See the website for more information on these.


So, what did I think? Was it worth the price we paid?

Well, it was okay. I paid $25 for the three of us, and I felt it was only slightly overpriced. If I had paid $50 I would have felt ripped off.

I think that if you are REALLY interested in Antarctica and the scientific side of what happens down there, then you'll love it and will find it value for money.

I like the Snow and Ice Room - that's a great idea (except the ice slide) and the storm is good. The penguins are a nice addition.

But in general? Well, let me just say that we won't be visiting again for another ten years (time to save up).



For more info visit the Antarctic Centre's website.

No comments: